Friday 1 April 2011

But you don't love me, Gwamma

Just wanting to record a sweet story that has been unfolding over the past few months.
Liitle grandson P. was startled into tears when he saw me fall just after having my cast applied  last year.
I was totally non-weight bearing and finding the crutches awkward and down I went.
I used to be the person he ran to and hugged when we visited and he immediately switched to DH and avoided me like the plague.

After a few months the cast came off and he was still cautious with me, even avoiding hugging goodbye. He started telling everyone, including me, that he didn't love me anymore!  I felt terrible and worried that the fall and the cast had scared him. No amount of cajoling could get him to reveal why he didn't love me anymore...

Finally, a short while ago, he told me that he didn't love me cuz "you don't love ME anymore, Gwamma".  I tried to assure him that indeed I did love him. I reminded him of all the fun things we do together, building lego's, playing trains, doing art, baking etc.

He shook his head and repeated several times in a sad little voice "no, you don't love me Gwamma".

Finally he revealed that since I did indeed do all those fun things with him at his house, he did know that I loved him at his house!  He just knew that I "didn't love at my house"!!!

When I tried to reassure him that I loved him at his house, my house and everywhere, he shook his head very determined and strongly stated " No Gwamma...you don't love me at your house...you never build twains with me...only Gwampa... You always COOKIN!!!!

I nearly died laughing...Yes indeedy, I am usually cooking if I have his family for supper!

7 comments:

Mary Pat Siehl said...

what a cute story--kids interpretation of things is just so cute!

thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. i would be honored if you stopped by again sometime or even signed up to follow me. i would do the same! thanks so much!

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

Precious! Love how kids minds work.

Connie Mercer said...

sweet story!!

Tracy said...

Awww what a sweet story. Dont' you love how their little minds work.
I would be broken hearted if I heard that too. Awww

Laura said...

That's cute!

Thanks for the comment on my Counterfeit layout. More than happy to be scraplifted! :)

Kylie said...

Awwwwww - so glad you got to the bottom of that. That's heartbreaking. My niece used to tell people that she didn't like her Uncle Craig (my husband) "Because Craig loves Kylie and Kylie loves only me".

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Oh my Gosh! Only from the minds of kids, hey? That must have been a big relief to figure that out. I still remember when my brother was 4 and I got engaged. He wouldn't hug me after that, before he was all "I love you" every 5 minutes, but I always get a hug now (years later) LOL :-D