Saturday 13 October 2012

Day 5: Goodbye Oxycodone Hello???

Day 5 found me still having the problems with my blood pressure falling really low. My head was throbbing and I was still spiking a fever. I was on meds for the UTI now and sort of had a fleeting thought about how I hate taking medications and would be glad when I didn't have to anymore.
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!                          Famous last words.

When my surgeon visited me that day, he shared that I would be going home if it wasn't for that pesky falling BP. He suggested that sometimes medication causes this problem...the headaches and fever could be part of it too....so....Did I think I could manage to not take anymore heavy narcotic painkillers, so they could monitor and see if that might be the cause. I could still have 2 T3's every 4 hours so that would help.

I didn't have to think twice...I wanted to go home...and I wanted to not worry about falling or fainting and wrecking my "fixed" back.

Yep, I nodded my head...I can do it. He left to take the instructions to the nursing station and I remember thinking...Oh Lordy...what have I got myself into. All I could think of was...Thank God the TV got sorted!!!
If I am not as stoned on the drugs, the TV will distract me.................so..............................................armed with the trusty TV,  a huge stack of scrapbook magazines and access to a hand propelled wheelchair to get me over to the 60 minutes of interenet access provided for patients in the other building..........................

I had the world by the tail!




3 comments:

SandeeNC said...

OK, I had to play catch up on the 7 days of your hospital stay, if I am correct, this means you are home and resting I hope. My favorite story was the free TV and the hospital helicopter experience, but I am sure that washing my hair would have been the highlight! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Darnell said...

.... on the edge of my seat, praying that you were able to cut back on the narcs and dispense with the headache and low BP ...

Erika said...

Hi Mo hope you are feeling better and you have managed to get home. I'm sure that will make all the difference to your recovery.
Hugs, take care,
Erika.